Thursday, March 24, 2011

Lucy

Lucy's been practicing her writing at preschool recently and she is doing such a great job! I've been blown away by her art skills and now writing skills. She's a bit of a perfectionist (like a certain parent of hers I know) and screams and tears up her papers if its not just the way she likes. I'm not quite sure how to handle her explosions sometimes, but I keep telling her its ok to start again or try to fix it. We go through so much paper everyday and I have a hard time throwing away some of her art, but I can't keep everything she does either.

Lucy knows she is talented and is a fun, great smart girl. I hate to see how she has so much doubt in herself already. She is learning some beginning reading and I think picking it up well, but she freaks out "I can't do it, I don't know how!" if I put her on the spot, so to speak, by asking her what sounds and words she knows and its a struggle like that everyday. This morning, my sis Tiffany posted this quote on Facebook and it really made me think:

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.” Marianne Williamson

3 comments:

  1. Lucy has no idea how brightly she shines. She's one amazing little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy was the same way about reading. He was half way through 1st grade and if I asked him what a letter was, he'd immediately spit out, I don't know. When I told him to guess, he was almost always right. He had such a hard time being wrong, it would make him feel like a big failure. I had to help him learn that messing up was part of learning, and it's OK to make mistakes.

    Tell Lucy she has better handwriting than her 14-year-old cousin, Wyatt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cambo........I borrowed the quote you borrowed from Tiff :) That is an awesome concept. Love you Pretty Girl

    ReplyDelete