Friday, February 4, 2011

Wanna see how cool I am?

I'm a little bit proud of myself, and my awesomeness... and I'm humble too! Ha haa haa! No, really I am taking some sewing lessons from my stepmom because she is the master and has all the cool sewing stuff and a room full of fabric she let me choose some for few fun projects. This one I started on is for Boyd's bed. I haven't really ever sewn before and Joanne gave me a simple pattern for making a strip quilt. You cut 5 inch pieces of fabric and batting and sew both sides together at once (its reversible, too, how cool is that?). I've got almost the whole thing done- I need 2 more strips and then I can learn how to bind the thing. Hooray! So far I haven't screwed it up too bad (just stand back and squint a little bit). I am sewing on Ken's grandma's old sewing machine and it's doing pretty well, although I have broken 2 needles in a very short period of time and I don't think that is normal.

 I'm super excited about making some useful and cute things. I already have material picked out for the girls' beds and I will make the same type of blanket, but adding a ruffle-y piece in the middle (I forgot what its called). I think it will be really cute with pink floral and polka dots, how could it not really? Then I will decide how to paint the kids' rooms too. It is really weird that I haven't painted one thing since we've been in our house. I feel the painting bug coming on and I can't wait to pick out some colors and draw some murals and have a couple of cute kid rooms.

2 comments:

  1. Cami, good for you and good for your step-mom. The quilt is great. Your children will always remember the quilts you make for them when they're little.

    ReplyDelete