Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Boyd

I signed up Boyd for soccer this year. It's been pretty good for him, I think. It's something brand new that he wouldn't normally be into, but he's been so good to try it. Overall he likes it, with just a couple of times of getting upset. He's starting to get a little confidence. Tonight at his game, he kicked it a few times (his first game he didn't touch it once), he likes being the goalie or defender, but not so much getting in the crowd of kids. I'm not sure if we'll do soccer again, but I'm very proud of him for giving it a chance!

Last night for our family night we had a picnic at a park just a little up Payson canyon. At the camp spot we noticed how trashy it was right there. There were a hundred cigarette butts, empty cans, tons of trash, and worst of all the people left a fire in the pit (I'm pretty sure there wasn't supposed to be any fire at all). So, we cleaned up that small area, just filling up the bag and empty pizza box with trash, and poured water over the fire. We had a short walk around and it was really nice! Beautiful weather and the leaves are all ready changing up the canyon.

Every new school year, I get super worried about Boyd getting used to school and all the changes. He just keeps getting better and better with everything, just has a few hang ups here and there. Today after school we sat down to do homework and he finished the math page no problem, reading time great, but he would NOT write his sentences and spelling words! He cried and whined and fought with me for over an hour. I was threatening and getting mad and finally asked him what will make this easier... neither of us were happy and I hate being the meanie. He said he was just too upset, his sisters are loud and he needed help to calm down. Just last night Ken put on an Enya song in the car and he loved it. So,I got the idea to put headphones with Enya, and not a second later he wrote all of his spelling words and sentences and was done in under 5 minutes! He smiled and said, "Thank you mom, I feel happy again." Good ol' Enya, I could just kiss her on the lips and thank her for saving me so many, many times! I haven't  thought about Enya for a really long time because he hasn't really needed it.

When Boyd was little and going through the worst of his autism troubles, nothing in the whole world could calm him down! We tried everything under the sun and somehow we discovered the magic of Enya music was the only thing that could stop his huge, crazy, tantrum fits. It was complete hell being so frustrated about every single thing in life for several years. Boyd would immediately stop screaming, let one of us pick him up and rock him to sleep. His whole body would just melt like butter, his eyes sort of glaze over and he was completely still for a good hour!
This one was his favorite he called it "Hi-Yah!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6jPGleYH6E

3 comments:

  1. Wow, what a tribute to the power of music, and to you as a mom, Cami! I loved that you didn't quit fighting with him, but found a way to work with him and help. That's so awesome. In the Montessori school I worked at, we allowed various children to work with ipods for the same reason of helping them focus and keep calm. What a neat story that was about the homework and him telling him thank you! Such sweet stories about that boy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cami, I'm not sure why this post made me cry but it did. The way your shared your feelings and thoughts touched me. I can't imagine how it hard it was when Boyd would have those troubles and there was nothing you could do, I can't imagine how hard that must of been. Enya will never be the same to me again. I am so happy that you stuck with it and are able to know your child and what he needs. Your an inspiration to me and I really admire you. I love ya girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok. SO I just re-read my post and it sounds kind of crazy...I made a ton of grammar errors :) Hopefully you get what I was trying to tell you :)

    ReplyDelete